This page contains information on MS American Queen riverboat cruises 2014 Mississippi¬†itineraries, schedule and prices comparison.
Avalon Waterways American Queen steamboat sails on exclusively Mississippi river cruises in USA.
American Queen riverboat review
American Queen steamboat
The simple fact is – this is the world’s biggest steamboat ever built, and an¬†authentic paddle-wheeler. She was originally built for DQSC (Delta Queen Steamboat Company) in¬†1996. After being in service for DQSC (since 2003) she was laid up in Violet LA¬†since 2008. The boat’s new owners AQSC (American Queen Steamboat Company) invested additionally some US$6,5 mill in refurbishments – from engines and new¬†painting¬†to the renovated Victorian decor (chandeliers, lots of polished wood and hand-crafted¬†woodwork), staterooms (new bedding, flat TV’s), the Sun-deck’s new “River Grill”. The riverboat’s new crew and staff is¬†from Memphis TN, and the famous chef Regina Charboneau oversees the onboard cuisine.
The new American Queen paddle-boat was relaunched in¬†April 2012. The idea behind this steamboat (beside profit) is to celebrate the US river history and traditions, and to enjoy country music and great food. A special feature of this huge riverboat is that she is able to lower the funnels in order to go under bridges.
It’s true that the boat’s stern paddlewheel (in the ship’s rearmost part) is powered by a genuine steam engine. But she also have a secondary propulsion being used only in emergencies and for better maneuverability. The secondary propulsion¬†consists of diesel-electric propellers (azimuth thrusters) located on either side of the wheel. These thrusters can rotate 360 degrees and allow fast maneuvering while the riverboat is in ports.
The American Queen steamboat was retired 2008 due to the bankruptcy of the original owner Majestic America. In April 2011 the ship started operations with its new owner being HMS Global Maritime (Hornblower Marine Services, based in¬†New Albany IN). The list of other famous and currently operational paddle-wheeler steamboats includes “Natchez”, “Chautauqua Belle”, “Minne-Ha-Ha”, “Belle of Louisville”.¬†In 2012 AQ participated and won the second place in the USA’s “Great Steamboat Race”.
American Queen paddle-boat cruise rates, dress code, tips/gratuity, entertainment, clientele
- Rates on this river cruise boat are pretty high in comparison to other ships, with prices of US$200+ on Interior cabin deals (PP per day). Included in the fares are pre-cruise hotel stays, transfers to the ship, unlimited soft drinks, bottled water, coffee and tea, and beer and wine (at dinner). Also complimentary are all guided tours/shore excursions, and the use of bicycles in ports of call.
- Dress code is¬†casual, shorts/T-shirts are not allowed at dinner (in the ship’s Dining Room). Casual dresses and khakis are proper evening attire, bring comfortable shoes for tours. The Captain’s Welcome/Farewell parties (held in the ship’s Mark Twain Gallery) are the right time to dress-up (no formal wear is required).
Gratuities (not included in the fares) are US$14,50 per guest per day (added daily), 15% service tipping to all alcoholic drinks.
- Dining – American breakfast is served daily, 3-course dinners.
- Enrichment program – local tour guides, artisans, daily lectures by history experts.
- Entertainment (nightly) -¬†sing-alongs in the Main Deck Lounge, themed deck parties,¬†dancing (Dixieland band music) and watching shows and concerts performed in the ship’s 2-story-tall Grand Saloon.
- Clientele – mostly Americans, well traveled,¬†many elderly couples (with a history in the Mississippi River and ocean voyages). Some families and students book for the summer trips. The boat is wheelchair friendly (with an elevator).
Besides enjoying the countryside scenery, other entertainment options ob baord are the Sun Deck’s pool, spa treatments (by Pevonia), working out in the Gym, or just sit in a rocking chair¬†and relax reading one of the¬†Mark Twain Gallery’s huge collection of books.
American Queen Mississippi¬†River itinerary¬†information
The Avalon’s USA deals are via a partnership with the American Queen Steamboat Company. This “cruise ship” is cruising the Mississippi River and its tributaries, and also the Ohio and Tennessee rivers on themed sailings. Since April 2012, American Queen cruises on 3- to 10-night river voyages departing from several ports, the biggest being New Orleans, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Memphis.
American Queen¬†Mississippi River cruises from Chicago to St Paul,¬†Minnesota
- 11 DAY “FALL FOLIAGE CRUISE” code W7LP – “FROM THE WINDY CITY TO THE TWIN CITIES”.
- On this itinerary you’ll embark on a 7-night Mississippi River¬†cruise, also featuring a sightseeing tour¬†in Illinois,¬†2 nights pre-cruise stay in Chicago. The list of other excursions highlights includes Pontiac (Route 66 Hall of Fame and Museum), a night-stay in Springfield (Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library), St Louis (Gateway Arch tour – 630-ft / 192 m -high). Follows embarkation for your mesmerizing Mississippi riverboat excursion to St Paul. Feature stops along the way are Hannibal, Missouri¬†(Mark Twain), Dubuque, Iowa ( this was the Victorian capital of the US, Galena touring, local restaurant¬†lunch), La Crosse,¬†Wisconsin,¬†and Red Wing, Minnesota.
- Hotel stays in Chicago and Springfield¬†(see the top-page Avalon Waterways link for the line’s hotel partnerships).
American Queen Mississippi cruises from¬†Nashville to New Orleans, Louisiana
- 12 DAY “AMERICA’S HEARTLAND” code W7MN- “FROM MUSIC CITY TO THE BIG EASY”.
On this itinerary, guests will be able to explore some of the South‚Äôs major cities and historically important towns located on river¬†Mississippi. It all starts in Nashville, Tennessee,¬†¬†with visiting the Country Music Hall of Fame (featuring John Carter Cash). Embarkation is in Memphis, with a pre-cruise¬†tour to Sun Studios, guided sightseeing¬†tour (including to the Elvis Presley‚Äôs mansion Graceland) and a classy dinner (Beale Street). Feature stops and excursions highlights: countryside & dining (restored plantation homes, American/Southern cuisine), Vicksburg, Mississippi¬†(visiting the National Military Park), Natchez, Mississippi¬†(visiting the Regina Charboneau‚Äôs mansion,¬†numerous before¬†American Civil War¬†houses), St Francisville, Louisiana (historical sites, old-charm restaurants, shopping(, Baton Rouge, (the LA’s capital city), tour to the Houmas House plantation. Disembarkation is in New Orleans LA, with a sightseeing guided tour and visiting the National WWII Museum there.
- Hotel stays in Nashville, Memphis and New Orleans.
American Queen¬†Steamboat Information
|Decks||6||Year Built / Links||1995-2012¬†/¬†AavalonWaterways¬†/¬†AQSC¬†/¬†Wiki|
|Capacity(Passengers-Crew)||436-172||Building Company /¬†Built in||McDermott (Louisiana, USA)|
|Cabins (total)||222||Registry (Flag-State)||United States (USA)|
|Suites||22||Identification (MMSI Number)||366950740|
|Balcony Cabins||125||Length (ft/m)||420 – 128|
|RiverView Cabins||22||Width (ft/m)||89 – 27|
|Facilities & Amenities||
|Rooms||A total of 14 cabin categories, staterooms are also with Victorian decors.
American Queen steamboat Mississippi River cruise ship
American Queen riverboat Mississippi “paddle boat” cruising experience
American Queen¬†ship current position tracker
American Queen riverboat cruises 2014 Mississippi¬†schedule
|Date / Departure||Itinerary / Route||Prices from|
|10-day one-way to US & Canada River Cruises from Chicago||Wed Sep 10 (Chicago, departing ), Thu Sep 11 (Chicago), Fri Sep 12 (Chicago), Fri Sep 12 (Springfield), Fri Sep 12 (Saint Louis), Sat Sep 13 (Saint Louis), Sun Sep 14 (On River), Mon Sep 15 (Hannibal), Tue Sep 16 (On River), Wed Sep 17 (Dubuque), Thu Sep 18 (La Crosse), Fri Sep 19 (Red Wing), Sat Sep 20 (Saint Paul).||Balcony $5039|
|10-day one-way to US & Canada River Cruises from Chicago||Wed Sep 24 (Chicago, departing ), Thu Sep 25 (Chicago), Fri Sep 26 (Chicago), Fri Sep 26 (Springfield), Fri Sep 26 (Saint Louis), Sat Sep 27 (Saint Louis), Sun Sep 28 (On River), Mon Sep 29 (Hannibal), Tue Sep 30 (On River), Wed Oct 01 (Dubuque), Thu Oct 02 (La Crosse), Fri Oct 03 (Red Wing), Sat Oct 04 (Saint Paul).||Balcony $5039|
|11-day one-way to US & Canada River Cruises from Nashville||Wed Nov 19 (Nashville, departing ), Thu Nov 20 (Nashville), Fri Nov 21 (Nashville), Fri Nov 21 (Memphis), Sat Nov 22 (Memphis), Sun Nov 23 (Helena), Mon Nov 24 (Vicksburg), Tue Nov 25 (Natchez), Wed Nov 26 (Saint Francisville), Thu Nov 27 (Baton Rouge), Fri Nov 28 (Houmas House Plantation), Sat Nov 29 (New Orleans), Sun Nov 30 (New Orleans).||Balcony $5279|
|11-day one-way to US & Canada River Cruises from Nashville||Wed Dec 03 (Nashville, departing ), Thu Dec 04 (Nashville), Fri Dec 05 (Nashville), Fri Dec 05 (Memphis), Sat Dec 06 (Memphis), Sun Dec 07 (Helena), Mon Dec 08 (Vicksburg), Tue Dec 09 (Natchez), Wed Dec 10 (Saint Francisville), Thu Dec 11 (Baton Rouge), Fri Dec 12 (Houmas House Plantation), Sat Dec 13 (New Orleans), Sun Dec 14 (New Orleans).||Balcony $5279|
American Queen cruises 2015¬†schedule
You can share the American Queen riverboat cruises schedule page [tagged Avalon Waterways charter, Mississippi River cruises USA] via our social buttons. Happy American Queen Mississippi cruise vacations – this time provided by the¬†Avalon lines!