Compare HAL cruises 2016, 2017 and 2018 Holland America itinerary schedules of all ships in the line’s fleet. Each one of the Holland America Line’s vessels has its officially announced sailing calendar of all departure dates, detailed itineraries (ports of call list, port times), plus ship tracker (current position tracking) and cruise prices to compare on all main cabin grades.
HAL cruise ships, and the Holland America Line as a brand name, are well known for providing a huge set of almost unlimited “cruise and tour” options spanning almost the entire globe. Holland America – the absolutely first shipping and passenger line in the world, when celebrated its 130th anniversary in 2003. HAL can proudly brag about its absolute record of nearly 10 million passengers carried by all HAL ships through the line’s history. Holland America is a British-American cruise line, and as a goods and passenger shipping company was founded in the so distant 1873 (under the name “Netherlands-America Steamship Company”.
The old steamship shipping company was headquartered in Rotterdam (The Netherlands) providing Transatlantic service to the Americas. Holland America Line is currently headquartered in Seattle WA (USA). The first HAL ships crossed the Atlantic Ocean between Europe and the United States, departing from Rotterdam and New York City. Other shipping services were also operated to ports in South America. During its first 25 years of history, the HAL ships carried more than 400,000 passengers (emigrants) from Europe to the USA. Some of the biggest and most famous old HAL ships were SS Nieuw Amsterdam (in service 1937-1974, 36,000 tons) and SS Rotterdam (in service 1959-2000, 38,650 tons). The list of transportation and shipping services (the HAL’s primary revenue source) was surprisingly upgraded in 1895 when the company offered its first ever cruise vacation voyage. The experience was repeated in 1910 with a second cruise starting, in New York to Holy Land. When in the early 70’s the air travel killed the golden era of the Transatlantic passenger ships, Holland America decided to suspend its Trans-Atlantic passenger shipping services.
In 1971 HAL fully focused its main resources on the cruise vacation market, selling its whole cargo division in 1973 to benefit the newest vacation fad. Since 1989 this line is fully owned by the world’s largest cruise company ever – the Carnival Corporation. Special and most interesting parts of the HAL cruise company’s business are the Westmark Hotel chain (serving exclusively the region of Alaska and Yukon) and the Half Moon Cay private island in the Caribbean (aka Little San Salvador Island).
The fleet of HAL cruise ships currently in operation consists of 15 vessels. They sail to 7 continents, carrying about 800,000 passengers a year. The list of Holland America ships sailing destinations includes:
- Alaska (operated with both cruises and cruisetours – “Land and Sea” packages)
- Caribbean (departing from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA)
- Europe – Mediterranean (departing from Rome, Venice, Barcelona)
- Europe – Baltic (departing from Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Copenhagen)
- Hawaii, and Hawaii and Baja Mexico
- Canada – New England
- Asia (from Singapore, Hong Kong, Dubai)
- Australia, New Zealand, the South Pacific (leaving from Sydney and Auckland)
- South America
- Panama Canal
- Transatlantic (mostly on ships repositioning)
- World Cruises.
Some of the HAL’s most famous features are:
- some of the largest SPA cruise ship suites
- some of the world’s best cruise ships for couples, seniors, small families
- big ships with affordable cruise deals and relatively inexpensive prices considering the HAL ships’ value-for-money indexes.
- 5-star dining, unobtrusive service. One main dining room (MDR), the “Pinnacle Grill” (reservations-only restaurant), “Canaletto” (Italian specialty restaurant, dinner), “Lido” (buffet restaurant, 3 meals), “Culinary Arts Center” (by Food & Wine Magazine) with its world famous demonstration kitchen (gourmet cooking lessons by the HAL’s Master Chefs or culinary celebrity guests).
- Kids Program (“Club HAL”) – age-appropriate activities, featuring arts & crafts, ice-cream & pizza parties, ship tours, mini golf, sports events, scavenger hunts, teen disco, arcade games, various tournaments and trivia contests, movies, kids-only Half Moon Cay shore excursions.
- Babysitting – baby food and high chairs must be requested before boarding. Babysitting services are available on sea days only (not in port) through the ship’s Front Office (for kids 3+ years of age).
- Dining – 2 additional dinner seatings, Pinnacle Grill (alternative restaurant, Pacific Northwest cuisine), Lido Deck Grill (casual), Culinary Arts Program (the “gourmet food and wine” experience of the HAL’s demonstration kitchen).
- Staterooms and cabin amenities. HAL ships have some of the most spacious and elegant cabins in the premium cruising market. Best features – premium plush mattresses, high quality cotton bed linens, deluxe terry bathrobes, large Egyptian cotton towels, complimentary fruit basket at boaring, massage shower-heads in bathrooms, 5 magnifying mirrors in each cabin.
- Activities – Explorations Center (onboard enrichment program), Crow’s Nest (nightclub & an observation lounge), onboard auctions (by Parkwest – multi-million $ art & antiques collections on each ship), duty-free boutiques shopping, huge casinos, Bingo (jackpots up to US$2000, a Super Bingo US$25000), Wi-Fi & Internet access, Spa, Fitness, large swimming pools and hot-tubs.
- Past Guests (loyalty program name “Mariner Society”) – preferential pricing, bonus privileges, special offers, latest news and updates.
- Lounges – recent fleet-wide ship refurbishment resulted in numerous enhancements, including remodeled public spaces, updated and brand new lounges and entertainment options. One of the big changes is the “Mix” (which they call “entertainment destination” to socialize and get entertained). “Mix” has 3 themed bars – “Champagne” (mimosas, anytime celebrations), “Martinis” (Grey Goose vodka cocktails, and of course, the classic martini experience), and “Spirits & Ales” (sports bar, brews, single malts).
- All ships feature changed cabin decors, new fixtures, soft goods. Spa cabins (and the new Spa suites) feature luxurious spa amenities, yoga mats, iPod docking stations, and easy access to the “Greenhouse Spa & Salon”.
- The private island is the Bahamian Half Moon Cay – at about 160 kilometers southeast of Nassau. HMC is an exclusive port of call for all HAL and Carnival ships, on most of their trips from Florida.
Follows a list of external links (opening in new tabs) to:
- official website HollandAmerica.com
- parent company (global) website CarnivalCorp.com
- main shipbuilding company (Cantieri Navali Italiana SpA) website Fincantieri.it
- one-way Holland America relocation cruises at RepositionCruises.com
- Holland America deck plans and cabins at CruiseShipDeckPlan.Com
The Holland America Line’s clientele is of mostly older passengers, with a more sedate but luxurious lifestyle, most of them couples at 35+ years of age and seniors (on longer sailings and also on the round the world voyages). HAL is not adequate to energetic and active travelers, interested in dynamic activities on board, or action-rich land tours and shore excursions.
Holland America 2016-2017-2018 itineraries
HAL cruise ships best features are the classic design, state-of-the-art amenities, and their sophisticated ambiance. The old vessels in the HAL’s fleet feature recently revamped public spaces and upgraded lounges. All HAL ships are flagged Netherlands since 2002 (registered in the city of Rotterdam, Holland).
Listed below are all vessels in Holland America fleet, in brackets (Year Built/Passenger Capacity/Cabins_total).
- ms Amsterdam (2000 / 1380 / 691)
- ms Eurodam (2008 / 2104 / 1052)
- ms Koningsdam (2016) – new “Pinnacle-class” cruise ship (100,000 tons, 2650 passengers, currently under construction), to be delivered in February 2016
- ms Maasdam (1993 / 1258 / 631)
- ms Nieuw Amsterdam (2010 / 2106 / 1053)
- ms Noordam (2006 / 1918 / 961)
- ms Oosterdam (2003 / 1916 / 959)
- ms Prinsendam (2002 / 835 / 419)
- ms Rotterdam (1997 / 1404 / 742)
- ms Ryndam (1994 / 1260 / 630) – renamed Pacific Aria in 2015 (entered the P&O Australia fleet)
- ms Statendam (1993 / 1260 / 630) – renamed Pacific Eden in 2015 (entered the P&O Australia fleet)
- ms Veendam (1996 / 1350 / 675)
- ms Volendam (1999 / 1432 / 717)
- ms Westerdam (2004 / 1916 / 958) – the Holland America’s 2016-2017 schedule shows a doubled Mexico Riviera cruise itinerary program with a larger ship (Westerdam) leaving on 7-day round-trips out of San Diego CA to Cabo, Vallarta and Mazatlan.
- ms Zaandam (2000 / 1432 / 716)
- ms Zuiderdam (2002 / 1916 / 959)
- Holland America repositioning cruises (ship relocation itineraries))
The list of Holland America cruise ship departure ports includes: Auckland NZ, Barcelona, Boston MA, Brisbane AU, Copenhagen, Fremantle/Perth AU, Hong Kong, Melbourne AU, San Diego CA, Seattle WA, Singapore, Sydney AU, Tampa FL, Tianjin-Beijing, Vancouver BC, Venice.
Our HAL cruises / Holland America ships schedules will give you all sail dates with the opportunity to also compare their cruise prices. You will know which ports your ship will visit, when and how much it will cost you to travel on each of the HAL ships. You can vote for our HAL cruise ships schedule pages and share their information by using our site’s social buttons. Enjoy our free of charge service here, and always happy sailings on all the Dutch-American HAL ships!