This page contains information on NCL cruises 2014-2015 – compare here all the NCL Norwegian Cruise Line ships schedules as dates and prices.
All NCL ships links here redirect to their complete cruise calendar, also featuring review of itineraries and sailing destinations.
Our NCL cruise ships schedules are all on a single page per vessel, and the prices comparison is just a bonus feature!
NCL Norwegian Cruise Line
NCL Norwegian Cruise Line as brand is mostly associated with its “Freestyle Cruising” idea of sea travel vacation (firstly introduced in May 2000). This line started the NCL business in the so distant 1966, under the company name “Norwegian Caribbean Line” (also NCL cruise line, huh?).
Best feature of NCl is the absolutely casual travel experience defined by the so innovative concept of no pre-set times foр meals, also no seating arrangements, and no formal dress code required. This revolutionary concept is the very reason why today NCL signifies freedom of choice cruise vacations – and flexibility.
NCL Norwegian is a privately owned company – and one of the top 3 most lucrative businesses for investment. The NCL cruise company as ownership/shares look like this: 12% OF THE COMPANY IS publicly listed (NASDAQ), Genting Group is the biggest shareholder (43,4%), Apollo Management Investments is second (with 32,5%), while the 3rd largest investor TPG Capital owns 10,8% of the company. NCL is “responsible” for appr 8% of the profits in the total cruise travel market in the world.
NCL Norwegian Cruise Lines History
As mentioned above, NCL Norwegian Cruise Line was established in 1966 by Knut Kloster and Ted Arison (the founder of Carnival Cruise Lines). They started the business with one ms Sunward (ferry cruise ship) operating most cheap Caribbean cruise deals. When mr Arison founded CCL, mr Kloster continued by acquiring more passenger ships for the line’s Caribbean operations. The list of NCL Norwegian innovations starts even from those distant years:
- NCL was the first to introduce cheap “flight and cruise” packages (under trademark “Cloud 9 Cruises”).
- NCL was first to develop new Caribbean, cruise ports (Ocho Rios, Jamaica), and the first to offer the so called “Out Island Cruises”.
- NCL was the first to introduce a 2-deck movie theater on a cruise ship, and so many others amazing innovations which are all now standards in the cruise industry.
NCL Norwegian Cruise Line became worldwide famous with the acquisition of the ms France Transatlantic liner in 1979, – refitted into a modern cruise ship and operating under the new name ms Norway. The US$100 mill ship refurbishment was a good decision. MS Norway was at her time the largest cruise ship in the world, and her extra space allowed by adding a huge variety of on-board entertainment options. MS Norway had an explosion accident in 2003 and NCL had to withdraw the ship from service (sold for scrap under the name SS Blue Lady at Alang, India in 2006). NCl Norwegian was also one of the first cruise lines expanding their businesses to other vacation regions besides the Caribbean – Hawaii, Bermuda, Alaska, and Europe. In the period from 1997 to 2001 NCL cruises were also departing from Australia under the brand name “Norwegian Capricorn Line” (another NCL abbreviation). The NLC’s subsidiary cruise company “Orient Lines” (founded 1991, operating the ms Marco Polo cruise ship) was acquired 1998. In 2000, NCL Norwegian itself became a subsidiary of Star Cruises (Asian line owned by Genting Group). 2002 was the special year when NCL Norwegian purchased the incomplete hull of the later named Pride of America cruise ship. In 2003 NCL lines announced the purchasing of two of the most famous US-flagged ocean liners – the SS United States and the SS Independence. The NCL’s owner Star Cruises surprisingly announced in Aug 2007 selling half of the NCL for US$1 billion to the Apollo Management (a huge investment fund, also owner of the Oceania Cruises line). History continues with NCL announcing in Feb 2008 the withdrawal from service of the Pride of Aloha (Hawaii cruise ship, later renamed as Norwegian Sky).
NCL Norwegian Cruise Lines Review
NCL Cruises 2014-2015 Destinations and Departure Ports
The fleet of NCL cruise ships in operation consists of 13 vessels (plus one under construction, scheduled for 2015, and 1 waiting to be confirmed – for 2017). NCL cruise ships visit more than 140 ports on most of the continents. The list of NCL Norwegian Cruise Line ships destinations includes:
- Alaska (both with cruises and cruise-tours packages, departing from Seattle WA and Vancouver BC)
- Bahamas and Caribbean (departing from NYC, New Orleans , and Florida – Tampa, Miami)
- Bermuda (departing from NYC New York, and also from Boston MA)
- Europe – Mediterranean (departing from Rome, Barcelona, Marseille, Venice)
- Europe – Baltic (leaving from Copenhagen)
- Hawaii (Pride of America ship, operated by the “NCL America” brand)
- Mexican Riviera (leaving out of Los Angeles)
- Canada – New England (leaving out of Boston MA and from Quebec City)
- Panama Canal and Transatlantic (repositioning cruises deals)
- 1- and 2-night “Cruises to Nowhere” from NYC.
- Info source on NCL cruises as itinerary and destinations - ShipCruise.org.
Norwegian Cruise Line Ships – the NCL Experience! (YouTube video)
Best NCL cruise ships features
- NCL ships as design are very classy and comfortable. Each ship has a big list of themed dining venues - with up to 10 different restaurants. There are several most diverse dining options on board, including tapas, Teppanyaki, Italian and French cuisine, sushi bar menu.
- Onboard gratuities are easily charge to the guests’ individual shipboard accounts.
- Specifically organized Singles and Honeymooners onboard parties with themed activities on each sailing. Dancing classes, cooking demonstrations, fashion shows are another onboard entertainment hits.
- Snorkeling classes by the line’s “Dive In” programme (equipment is provided).
- Staterooms / cabins amenities. NCL ships offer an extensive choice of cabin grades, including the unique complex of Garden- and Courtyard Villas and their Deluxe Owners Suites. The NCL line’s “ship-within-a-ship” concept is another revolutionary idea – all these spacious suites have a whole private deck (exclusively for their occupants), featuring a sundeck, a swimming pool, a Gym area and butler service. Inside staterooms and the so special and “no single supplement cruise rates” special Solo cabins are another hits from all the NCL room categories.
- Onboard service is highly attentive (there are even pool attendants to spray passengers taking a sunbath with Evian water!).
- List of activities on Norwegian cruise ships includes: bowling, rock climbing,, Broadway-style show productions, some of the best casinos at sea, modern art auctions, various health and wellness enrichment programs. The NCL’s “Mandara Spa” is fleet-wide deal – Mandara is one of the world’s leading operators of more than 45 resort spas (both land- and ship-based).
- Past Guests program is named “NCL Latitudes”) – special rates (lower pricing), perks and special members-only offers, including up to US$250 shipboard credit (the amount depends on cabin category). Booking NCL repositioning cruises (Transatlantic, Panama Canal, USA West Coastal, or select ships sailings) could even double your points.
- NCL Kids Program is named “Kids Crew”. NCL Norwegian teamed up with Nickelodeon - the number 1 kids entertainment brand in the world. this is an NCL exclusive Nickelodeon deal for providing an year-round family fun activities on the NCL ships Jewel and Epic. The line’s youth counselors staff is carefully selected from major universities and renown organizations.
- The NCL cruise line’s private island is the Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas). It is a destination reserved exclusively for NCL ships passengers. This special place 9and a destination of itself!) features great beaches, superb sea kayaking – and a WaveRunner (surf simulator). Other special deals here are the snorkeling classes, complimentary beach-side BBQ for lunch, and kids will enjoy the super fun at the 40 ft high (12 m) 175 ft long (53 m) “Hippo” – world’s largest inflatable waterslide installed there. Private cabanas rentals, parasailing, wave runner tours, Stingray encounters are just a few of all the special activities on this magical Bahamian private island resort.
- NCL Norwegian sells relatively inexpensive cruise deals – their brochure prices start at ~$140 PP per day (inclusive of port charges, airfare not included).
- external links:
- official website NCL.eu
- parent companies (global) websites: Genting.com, Apollo (agm.com) and TPG Capital (tpg.com)
- main shipbuilding company (Meyer Werft) website MeyerWerft.de, and STX France STXeurope.com
- and the line’s page at Wikipedia.
NCL ships are a great choice for first-timers in cruising, also for more active people, for travelers interested in theme cruises, and also for young families with kids. The big NCL ships main competition are the ships from the Carnival and Royal Caribbean fleets.
List of NCL cruise ships (Departure Ports, Year Built / Passenger Capacity / Cabins_total)
All NCL cruise ships are either new or recently refurbished. As you can see from their list below, the oldest one (NCL Sky) is just 14 years old. NCL’s fleet is one of the world’s biggest and most innovative ones. All of the NCL ships are big (to really large), well-equipped, offering feature amenities and onboard activities, and sailing worldwide. Some NCL ships boast up to 10 different restaurants and various dining options. Charging gratuities to the guests’ shipboard account is another no more worrying about cash and envelopes. Singles and honeymooners will find parties just for them, and everyone can enjoy dancing classes, culinary demonstrations and a perhaps even a fashion show. If you’d like to learn to snorkel, NCL’s Dive In program will teach you how, provide equipment, and bring to you excellent snorkel spots.
- Norwegian Breakaway (NYC New York) (2013 / 4000 / 1440)
- Norwegian Escape (2015 / 4200 / ?)
- Norwegian Bliss (2017 / 4200 / ?)
- Norwegian Dawn (Boston, Tampa, New Orleans) (2002 / 2224 / 1478)
- Norwegian Epic (Miami, Barcelona, Rome) (2010 / 4100 / 2979)
- Norwegian Gem (NYC New York) (2007 / 2394 / 1553)
- Norwegian Getaway (Miami FL) (2014 / 4000 / 1440)
- Norwegian Jade (Mediterranean/Venice-Rome) (2006 / 2402 /1557)
- Norwegian Jewel (Alaska/Seattle, Caribbean/New Orleans-Houston TX) (2005 / 2376 / 1544)
- Norwegian Pearl ((Alaska/Seattle, Caribbean/Miami) (2006 / 2394 / 1553)
- Norwegian Sky (Bahamas from Miami) (1999 / 2004 / 1246)
- Norwegian Spirit (Mediterranean) (2000 / 2018 / 1336)
- Norwegian Star (Europe/Baltic from Copenhagen, Panama Canal from Miami and LA) (2001 / 2348 / 1483)
- Norwegian Sun (Vancouver-Alaska, Caribbean from Miami and Tampa) (2001 / 1936 / 1344)
- Norwegian Pride of America (Hawaii cruise ship) (2005 / 2138 / 1595).
Our NCL cruises 2014-2015 Norwegian Cruise Line ships schedules articles contain all sailing dates but also will allow you NCL cruise prices comparisons per ship. This way you’ll know all the ports and destinations your NCL ship are going to visit, and also for how much you can enjoy this pleasure. You rate and share all of our NCL cruise ships schedule pages by using the social buttons. Enjoy our absolutely free of charge information, and many and most happy sailings with the NCL Norwegian Cruise Line ships!